Sunday 19 June 2016

Love at first sight: Why I fell in love with Gladstone's Library

Sleeping with books. This is how I first learned about Gladstone’s Library

Being a bookworm I could not miss the opportunity to visit such a wonderful place. I went for a Glimpse tour of the Reading Rooms: 15 minutes of bliss where I was allowed not only to look around but also to take books off the shelves!

The collections include mostly books about the Humanities, like Religion, Politics, Literature, and History. I was amazed to see the Bible in so many different languages. 

Gladstone’s very own books are also part of the collection. Most interesting to me was to find that some of his books were about Religion and Science. I even discovered three volumes of Charles Darwin’s Letters!

I would have loved to have more time to browse the collection and keep unlocking its secrets. Maybe one day…

A few days later, a letter came in the post thanking me for my donation. Tiny details like these are also part of what makes this place so special. Thank you Katharine Easterby for this.


The perfect atmosphere for writing and reading. Whether you are a bookworm or not, this is a place not to be missed.



An interactive 360 degree view from outside Gladstone's Library. Click, drag and explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment